What Makes a Great Premium Skill?
Quality premium skills add additional content to an already engaging experience:
- Help customers get their money's worth. Encourage repeat usage of your skill. Give customers a reason to come back daily or weekly with fresh content or to unlock new content or rewards for continued use.
- Offer a seamless customer experience. Customers can clearly distinguish between premium and free content, can easily discover and access the skill’s premium offerings, and the skill handles all possible outcomes of the purchase user flow
- Provide a compelling free experience. The premium experience is meant to enhance the skill with more useful features or tools and to provide additional content. Before you add a premium experience to your skill, you first need to build an engaging skill that resonates with customers and keeps them coming back.
What are the types of in-skill purchases?
- Consumable: Provides access to premium content that can be purchased, depleted when used, and purchased again. For example: A trivia skill offers a hint to a difficult question for a one-time fee.
- Subscription: Allows customers to pay a flat monthly fee for access to all content, or for tiered access to content. For example, a radio broadcaster allows access to all channels and content on Alexa for a flat monthly rate.
- One-time purchase: Provides access to premium content that never expires. For example, a trivia game offers additional themed packs of quizzes customers can re-play for a one-time fee.
Learn how to build a skill with In-Skill Purchasing
You can also check out the following resources to learn more about In-Skill Purchasing and prepare for the challenge. For more help, check out the page Make Money through In-Skill Purchasing for more details.
The Introductory Guide provides an overview on premium product offerings and share tips and best practices to help you kick-start your challenge submission
Sample Skills - Dive into Skill Code with These Code Samples on github:
- Premium Hello World Skill – A great beginner sample with a tutorial on building for with In-Skill Purchasing
- Premium Fact Skill – A more Robust, Intermediate code sample that shows One Time Purchases, Subscriptions, and Consumables being used together in a fact skill
- In-Skill Purchasing Overview
- In-Skill Purchasing FAQs
- Add In-Skill Purchasing to a Skill
- Create and Manage In-Skill Products
- In-Skill Purchasing Certification Guide
- In-Skill Purchasing Testing Guide
- Checklist: Get Your Skill Qualified for Amazon Promotion
- How to Optimize Your Upsell Strategy for Your Monetized Alexa Skills
New to skill building? Take some foundational training:
- Training Course: Build your first engaging skill with Cake Walk
- Check Out the Sample Code for Building a Simple Skill
Check out three of our twitch streams on In-Skill Purchasing below to get started.