Invent the future of premium voice content
Build a Premium Alexa Skill to Enter to Win Over $120K in Prizes + Free Travel to an Exclusive Summit at Amazon’s Headquarters in Seattle
We are excited to announce the Alexa Skills Challenge: In-Skill Purchasing with Devpost, an opportunity to invent the future of premium voice content with over $120k in prizes. Plus, challenge finalists will be invited to Amazon’s headquarters in Seattle for an exclusive one-day summit on monetization opportunities. In-Skill Purchasing (ISP) lets you make money from your Alexa skills by selling premium digital content to enrich your customer’s experience, including anything from hints in a trivia skill to enhanced features in a weather reporting skill.
To enter, build and publish a new skill, or update an existing skill, with In-Skill Purchasing that offers premium paid content for customers and is available for purchase. If an existing skill, submitters will be required to have integrated ISP during the submission period. Existing skills that already integrated ISP will NOT be eligible. Skills must be published in at least one of the Skill Stores that currently support ISP: United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and/or Japan.
Invent the Future of Premium Voice Content
Customers have purchased over 100 million Alexa-enabled devices and there are hundreds of thousands of developers building voice experiences on Alexa. In-Skill Purchasing is available globally in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and Japan. Developers who monetize their skills across these skill stores will be able to tap into a larger customer base, generating revenue to grow their global voice business. Entrepreneur Mark Cuban has said that if he were to start a business today, he’d build it around Alexa. It is still the early days of voice technology and voice entrepreneurs are getting in now to capitalize on Alexa’s reach.
What is the Alexa ISP Finalist Summit?
The Alexa ISP Finalist Summit is an invite-only workshop for challenge finalists where they will have the opportunity to learn in-depth how to build premium experiences on voice. The event will be held at Amazon’s headquarters in Seattle, with air travel and hotel covered for up to 2 team members in each finalist team. Participants will have the opportunity to meet the Alexa team, share their feedback, and spend time with experts learning how to take their skills and premium ideas forward. And of course, a tour of the Amazon headquarters campus. The summit will take place in January 2020 with further details announced during the challenge.
Eligibility: The competition will welcome submitters from around the globe. However individuals or organizations may be disqualified due to product availability and restrictions. Residents and organizations based in India are not currently eligible to participate. To learn more about ISP availability in different regions and countries, you can read our documentation here. See Rules and Resources for further details.
Submissions to Devpost must include a video demonstration and written detailed description of the skill and the in-skill product(s), including the name of the premium content offerings and instructions for judges how to invoke and access the premium content.
Additional Eligibility Details:
- Individuals, and teams of individuals, must be 18 years or older to participate, or have reached the legal age in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry
- The competition will welcome submitters from around the globe. However individuals or organizations may be disqualified due to product availability and restrictions. Residents and organizations based inBrazil, Quebec, India, or any country, state, province or territory where the laws of the United States or local law prohibits participating or receiving a prize in the Competition (including, but not limited to Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria and any other country designated by the United States Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control
Submission Package: A skill description, video demo, and other information must be submitted on the Devpost website by November 12th at 5:00pm EST to be considered. For a complete list of requirements, see the Official Rules.
Certification: All skills must be submitted to the Alexa Skill Store by November 12th at 5:00pm EST and PASS certification by December 6th at 5:00pm EST.
Main Requirement: Build and publish a new skill, or update an existing skill, with In-Skill Purchasing that offers premium paid content for customers and is available for purchase. If an existing skill, submitters will be required to have integrated ISP during the submission period. Existing skills that already integrated ISP will NOT be eligible. Skills must be published in at least one of the Skill Stores that currently support ISP: United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and/or Japan.
- Skills must integrate In-Skill Purchasing be published in countries where In-Skill Purchasing is available. Currently, ISP is available in the US, United Kingdom, Germany, and Japan skill stores.
- Be a new or existing Alexa skill. If existing, submitters will be required to have integrated ISP during the submission period. Existing skills that already integrated ISP will NOT be eligible.
- All submitters must complete the tax identify form and add bank account information to publish an ISP skill.
- All submissions must include a demonstration video of the entry and of the in-skill product(s) available for purchase. Submissions to Devpost must include a detailed description of the skill and the in-skill product(s).
- Submitted skills should support the utterance “What can I buy?” that directs customers and judges to the in-skill products available for purchase
- Submission materials must be in English [or provide an English translation]
- Be substantially different from any other app submitted by the same submitter/team/organization
- Be the original work of the submitter, be solely owned by the submitter, and not violate the IP rights of any other person or entity
Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of qualified judges.
Quality of the idea and premium offering
(Including the uniqueness, creativity, and ingenuity of the voice-first premium experience.)
Quality of the user experience
(Including the offer upsell and purchase experience, whether the digital product performs as expected, ease of premium content discovery, and more.)
Potential impact of the idea
(Including the extent to which the skill is widely useful, earning potential, capability for growing a business, might be customizable, ability to be extended into other scenarios, etc.)
Quality of the Submission Package
(Including the quality of the description, video demo, and any other materials submitted to Devpost.)
- Voice skills